Translate

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Researching Ones Family Can Reveal Some Surprises

More and more information is becoming available on the Internet that can you in your family history or family tree project. There are times that the information that you think is accurate conflicts with something that you may find on the Internet.

Often the conflict arises from misinformation that you have or that someone else has posted. However, at times the conflict arises for other reasons.

I subscribe to several online services that give me access to images of birth, marriage and death records, censuses, tax rolls, directories, plat maps, etc. I recently came across an entry in a Philadelphia city directory that didn't fit with what I thought that I knew about this individual.

In the 1885 Philadelphia directory, I found a listing for an Angeline Stotenbur. She was identified as the widow of Abram and was a boarder. I was confused because according to cemetery records, she was buried with Abram. She died in 1888 and he died in 1891.

I could not find Abram (or Abraham) and Angeline together in any census after 1860. Then, I accidently found an entry at Findagrave.com for Susan Tallman wife of a gentleman named Abraham Stotenbur of Schuyler County, New York. Susan was buried near her father in Chautauqua County, New York after she died in 1895.

As far as I can tell, Abram/Abraham never left the Town of Montour in Schuyler County, New York. I found him referenced many times over his lifetime in a book entitled, "Early History &c. Village of Havana, N. Y." In this same book I found a reference to Susan Stotenbur.

Based with this information, I was able to find Abraham in the 1870 census in Havana, NY. He was living with a female named Susy Stotenbur.

Angeline was enumerated in Schuyler County, NY with her husband Abraham Stotenbur in the 1860 census. However ten years later, Abraham Stotenbur was enumerated with Susy.

When Angeline died, she was buried in the Montour Cemetery in Havana, Schuyler County, New York. Susan Tallman and Abram/Abraham Stotenbur had no children together. Since he was buried near his first wife and Susan was buried with her family, I suspect that decision as to where to bury Angeline Baker and her husband Abraham Stotenbur was made by his children and not by his 2nd wife.

It would seem that Angeline never married again and that she refered to herself as a widow rather than as divorced. I may have found her in the 1870 census using her maiden name but still identified as a widow. Since I am not convinced that I found her,  I am still looking for her in the 1870 and also in 1880 census.

No comments:

Post a Comment