Translate

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

I was briefly a Boy Scout

The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) is changing its name to Scouts of America. The BSA has seen a gradual decline in its membership. The organization experimented with allowing girls to join in their younger program (7-10 years old). It was a success and the boys in this age group did not have a problem with girls in the organization. As a former marketing executive the decision by the BSA made complete sense to me for an organization that wants to survive.


American Express and Wells Fargo are companies that transformed themselves in order to survive. Both of these companies that are well-known in the financial section started out as wagon freight and passenger companies. These companies were threatened by the emergence of the transcontinental railroad.


It looks like the BSA is also trying to transform itself somewhat in order to survive. It is no surprise that the Girl Scouts of America is having issues with the BSA's decision as the organization sees the BSA as potentially taking away potential members.


Change is hard for many. I remember when my church replaced the hymnals that included the order of service. I had memorized every part of service and then this new hymnal changed a lot of chanting portions. I suddenly felt as if I had come to a new place. I adjusted and thankfully I have been able to adjust to other changes that have happened in my church over the years.


So when was I a boy scout...
I was in high school in the 1960s. I wanted to be a doctor. I discovered a club at my high school. It was called Medical Explorers so I joined. More girls joined than boys. We went on several trips to the Orange County Medical Hospital. At some point, the Boy Scouts of America discovered that it had a troop of more females than males. That was when I lost my status as a Boy Scout.


I was a Girl Scout and a Pioneer Girl too.









No comments:

Post a Comment